Read at your own risk! we require use of cookies

Tumbling further into this rabbit-hole may cause: dementia, insomnia, mood-swings, cranial detonation, nightmares, or cannibalistic urges. Your life will never be the same afterwards!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Road of Endless Screams


              THE ROAD OF ENDLESS SCREAMS ©2009 Chris Acker 




In most of my dreams I walk down a road
Through a place I've been but isn't real
And every time I must walk it alone
So to survive I must ignore any fear I feel

This road is long and spans the globe
Through cities and over mountains and seas
Where the road ends I may never know
Perhaps it's the path back to reality

It's much like being lost in the desert
Or finding myself trapped in a maze
I must either choose to keep walking or
Try to find some means of escape

So I wake myself thinking I'm free
And no longer lost in my own dream
At least until I must sleep again
Then I return to the Road of Endless Screams

That's what I have named this wretched nightmare
And if you ever see it you will understand
See the faces of those who have died everywhere
Hear the unrelenting cries that echo across that land

This is a place where you don't want to be
Alone in a world without love or hope
Take a walk down the road if you don't believe me
And we'll see just how well you can cope

Along the Road are many places where
The Oceans are on fire the sky darkened by smoke
And on the path I must take through there
Walk the dreaming souls who never awoke

Forever they scream aloud for they are lost
Unable to return to their waking lives
All they can feel is the fear in their hearts
They've forgotten their children and abandoned their wives

The people of this realm destroy their own land
With deadly poisons and setting hellish fires
Locked in an eternal war with themselves and
Enslaved both by terror and insatiable desire

Oh the horrifying things I've seen down that road
Raping and burning and death all night and day
The screams of pain can be heard all around
Across the land from hundreds of miles away

It may drive you crazy and then turn you cold
Or maybe in time you'll get used to it all
After so many trips I've made on the road
I doubt if I have any sanity left at all

And even my Death can not end this hell
If I die there I can never wake again
And to die in the waking world is futile as well
Those who try only end up where the nightmare began

If I close my eyes and listen real well
I swear I can still hear them all screaming
But what if I never awoke from that hell
Sleepwalking down the road I'm still dreaming